2005 Shanghai Junior High School English Contest Paper for Written English
I. Vocabulary and Structure: 30%
1. Adams hadn’t a _________ what the speaker was talking about most of time because the class was in chaos.
A. guess B. thought C. concept D. clue
2. Any one who followed _________ would be blessed with a richer life and boundless love from his family.
A. my set of rules B. my packet of rules
C. my group of rules D. my pack of rules
3. _________, the King of Rock 'n' Roll, was crowned top-earning dead celebrity of the past 12 months.
A. Elton John B. Elvis Presley
C. Sting D. Michael Jackson
4. "To be or not to be, that is the question” is a quotation from Shakespeare’s play _________.
A. Romeo and Juliet B. Macbeth
C. Hamlet D. King Lear
5. My cousin Betty is the black _________ of the family
A. cow B. pig C. horse D. sheep
6. I’ve got my driving test this afternoon so keep your _________ crossed.
A. toes B. fingers C. arms D. legs
7. As Mr. Best was passing the bookshop, he thought he'd just _________ to see whether any interesting books were on sale.
A. look in B. look up C. look round D. look for
8. Lenny advised me to have a _________ of brandy because it will make me less nervous.
A. bite B. lick C. sip D. touch
9. My father's very quiet too. I _________ him.
A. follow with B. take after
C. look like D. turn up to be
10. The capital of Australia is _________
A. Sydney B. Melbourne C. Liverpool D. Canberra
11. Germany has won the World Cup _________
A. twice B. three times C. four times D. five times
12. Tony Blair became _________ of Britain in 19971
A. president B. general secretary
C. prime minister D. king
13. _________ was defeated at the battle of Waterloo.
A. Hitler B. Napoleon
C. Mussolini D. Richard Nixon
14. There are two main political parties in the USA, _________ and _________.
A. the Democrats and the Republicans
B. the Democrats and the Labors
C. the Democrats and the Conservatives
D. the Conservatives and the Republicans
15. The news was _________ on the radio the day before yesterday.
A. broadcast B. to broadcast
C. being broadcasted D. broadcasting